Mosquitoes could carry remedies
Pests What really helps against mosquitoes?
Mosquito repellent in the test: for application
Mosquito repellants with the synthetic ingredients DEET (= diethyltoluamide) and Icaridin (found in Autan) provide reliable protection against bites. The mosquitoes simply cannot smell it.
DEET, which is in products like "Anti Brumm Forte" or "Nobite Skin Spray", is controversial. The active ingredient is suspected of causing skin irritation or even damaging the nervous system. It should therefore not be used in large quantities for too long.
Most active ingredients are water-soluble, which is why they have to be reapplied after bathing in the sea and lake.
How can you prevent it?
Especially in areas with large mosquito populations, it is advisable to wear long, light-colored clothing that is as closed as possible. Unlike ticks, the small bloodsuckers can also pierce clothing - even jeans. Hats with face protection are just as effective as mosquito nets for beds or tents.
A running fan has proven to be helpful because mosquitoes hate the wind.
As a preventive measure, it makes sense to cover the rain barrel and regularly swap open water in the garden. Because standing water is an ideal breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Tiger mosquitoes on the rise
The Asian tiger mosquito (aedes albopictus) can be found more and more frequently in our latitudes. It originally comes from the South and Southeast Asian tropics and is now native to the entire Mediterranean region. Even in southern areas of Germany, especially in Baden-Württemberg, Thuringia, Hesse and Bavaria, entomologists count individual populations.
You can recognize them by their typical white stripes on their black body and legs. The Asian tiger mosquito is only ten millimeters tall and is also active during the day. The common mosquito, on the other hand, has an impressive 15 millimeters and stings more at dusk and at night.
The Asian bush mosquito (aedes japonicus) now feels at home in Germany because it likes it rather cold. In contrast to the tiger mosquito, the bush mosquito is dark to black-brown in color and has light horizontal stripes on the belly and legs.
The tiger and bush mosquitoes are dangerous because they can transmit the following diseases:
- Dengue fever
- Chikungunya fever
- Zika fever
- West Nile fever
- Yellow fever
Apart from the West Nile virus, no tropical virus has yet been detected in Germany. So if you have an unpleasant encounter with a tiger mosquito, it is unlikely that you have contracted Zika or Dengue.
West Nile fever also in Germany
43 species of mosquito, including the native mosquito, can transmit the West Nile virus. However, only one in 100 people who are stung falls seriously ill. In the worst case, meningitis threatens. West Nile fever symptoms are similar to mild summer flu, if noticed at all. The first cases in Germany became known in mid-August 2019. Mostly birds are hosts for the West Nile virus, which is then transmitted to humans when a mosquito bites.
By the way: whether mosquitoes or tiger mosquitoes: they cannot transmit the coronavirus! It spreads mainly through droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or through droplets of saliva or nasal secretions.
- What is the purpose of Valentine's Day
- Are people really afraid of Islam?
- Which rays are the most dangerous
- What's wrong with Hollywood
- Happiness comes through people
- What are the 5 political ideologies
- Which can cause dizziness for several days
- Who is the most controversial rapper
- Which drinks are part of the Indian kitchen
- What are examples of antacid foods
- How often does Coca Cola pay dividends
- Draupadi married 5 men
- What should Muslims know about Hinduism
- Everyone experiences discrimination
- What is pudgal in Jainism
- Why are government deficits bad
- What is the loneliest road in Scotland
- Is India against or with free trade
- The conversation died face to face
- Which is better RGPV or LNCT
- How are mumbaikars treated in other cities
- What does PAN TIN
- Why doesn't Red Bull affect me
- Which is your favorite Indian song
- Who will control the world
- How was Britain in the 1980s
- Have you ever been to Romania
- Where are glasses made 1
- How does TinkerCAD simplify 3D printing
- Why do we fight against Muslims
- How many prawns are 100g
- What is the importance of computer skills
- Can immigration take your passport with you