How much English is spoken in Greece
Thanks to the conquests of Alexander the Great, Greek found widespread use in the Middle East and became a world language and lingua franca. Together with Latin, Greek forms the basis of many modern European languages.
Modern Greek in use today is actually a dialect of ancient Greek and is spoken by the vast majority of Greeks. In some parts of the country, however, Albanian and Turkish are also used.
Many Greeks speak English in the tourist regions of the country as well as in the larger cities. The reasons for this are the booming tourism, but also the fact that many Greeks have worked in English-speaking countries. English lessons are also part of the standard program of many Greek schools. In the more remote and less well-developed areas - especially on the mainland - it can sometimes be quite difficult to find someone who speaks English. Also, many locals in the tourist regions are reluctant to speak English outside of the high season.
Unfortunately, many foreigners living in Greece (especially the British) do not care about learning Greek. However, mastering the Greek language should be seen as a necessity and not just as a possibility - especially if you want to run a company.
When you retire as a pensioner in Greece, you should at least acquire some basic Greek vocabulary. This makes your everyday life much easier: For example, you have no problems with your bills and bank statements, you can make phone calls, communicate with craftsmen and public employees, etc. If you do not learn Greek, you will always be dependent on friends and acquaintances who are with you have to be at your side with everyday things. You may even have to pay people to do certain things - with knowledge of the Greek language, you can save yourself that hassle.
It is particularly important in emergencies to be able to make yourself understood in Greek. You may be able to save your own life or the life of someone close to you. In addition to the fact that mastering the Greek language opens many doors for you in this country (both privately and professionally), it is also much easier for you to enjoy and fully enjoy the Greek lifestyle.
Unfortunately, Greek is difficult to learn - in addition, the language is based on a completely different alphabet. This consists of 24 letters and 12 diphthongs (double sounds). Once you have mastered the alphabet, however, it will be much easier for you to pronounce the language correctly and to understand (traffic) signs and signs.
The key to speaking and understanding Greek is to correctly accent certain letters or syllables - otherwise, the meaning of your sentence may change!
Greek grammar also has some pitfalls - especially when it comes to conjugating verbs. On the other hand, it is relatively easy to see through the basic principle of how language “works”. Learning the language takes hard work and perseverance - especially when you are surrounded by friends and colleagues who speak other languages. It is also not possible to simply “pick up” the language by listening (only small children can enjoy this benefit). Fortunately, the Greeks are very patient and tolerant with foreigners who want to learn the language.
As in almost every other country, their professional opportunities and their social contacts increase the more they speak the national language.
By Just Landed
Other recommended articles
Did this article help you?
do you have feedback, an update or a question about this topic? Comment here:
- Have you ever dealt with human trafficking?
- Who is the tallest balloon of the winner?
- Are superstitions real How can we believe
- How many prawns are 100g
- What is elastic medium
- Zoho Creator is part of Zoho
- What are the basics of learning astronomy
- Why is the state of Karnataka so expensive
- Are airbags really dangerous in cars?
- Can you be refused a marriage certificate?
- What upset the Chinese
- Is Dutch a language that is dying out
- Are individualistic or collectivistic cultures happier?
- How can I stop being an emo
- Do you know how to spell disappointed
- What are good dividend paying quality stocks
- Are snails a good omen
- In which states is BJP too weak?
- Why would you prefer DTU IIT
- Why is capitalism a failure
- Are there unsafe areas in Bandung Indonesia
- What is the most liberal religion in the world
- Which food makes you happy
- If God exists, he is good
- Who are the most humble celebrities
- Why are they selling alcohol
- What are some concentration hacks
- How is Map implemented internally in Python
- Is Mumbai really an expensive city
- Autistic children get beaten up
- What are the main free email providers
- Any information is technical propaganda
- Where could I watch Hindi TV shows
- How bad should I feel