Which country code is 21
International country codes (ISO, OIC, Fips, ...)
Olympic country codesThe most famous country codes come from the Olympic Committee (IOC). These codes appear on our televisions at all Olympic Games and most international matches, e.g. in football, handball and basketball. FIFA and most other sports associations use them - even if the sports are not Olympic disciplines at all. However, the IOC codes differ from those of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) - and that regularly causes confusion.
ISO country codesThe International Organization for Standardization defines its country codes in the standard 3166-1. In the alpha-3 version, ISO codes also consist of 3 capital letters. For example, Germany has the IOC code "GER" for "Germany", the English country name. The three-letter ISO code is "DEU". Although the ISO is an international organization, it occasionally uses the local language to derive the abbreviations. This is not always the case: The country code for Austria (the national language is German) is "AUT", based on the English "Austria".
The International Organization for Standardization has other country codes. The numerical variant such as 276 for Germany is a bit impractical because it is hardly legible. It is used almost exclusively in information technology, where it is no longer important that the code can be read by humans. The 2-letter code alpha-2 is more common for this. It is mainly used to assign a country-specific domain. The IBAN of our account numbers also uses this. Often it is also identical to the vehicle license plate. This code is almost always based on the 3-letter variant.
Currency abbreviationIn the table above there are no encodings for currencies, but there are. They also consist of 3 letters according to a uniform system: First come the two letters of the ISO code (3166-1 alpha-2) and then the first letter of the unit follows. For the Swiss franc, the letters "CH" come first, followed by an "F" for the franc. The code of the thailand B.aht is THB and for the Japanese yen it is "JPY".
Here, too, there are of course exceptions: Currencies like the euro are not linked to a single country, which is why it was given the abbreviation EUR. And individual countries such as Mexico are also treated a little differently. The Mexican peso should actually have the code MXP in the system, but since a currency reform in 1992 the abbreviation has been "MXN".
Fips 10Fips 10 is a code originally from the USA, which not only includes countries, but also dependent and other areas with sovereign properties. Although they also consist of 2 capital letters, they usually do not correspond to the ISO code. Due to the US-American origin, the English-speaking names are often used here. So Germany received the letter combination "GM", which was derived from Germany. Initially, this code was particularly important in the foreign policy and military areas of the USA. However, because numerous additional areas received a Fips 10 code, it spread beyond the USA and is used in international databases. Examples of additional territories are the British military base Akrotiri (AX), the Gaza Strip (GZ) or the uninhabited Johnston Atoll (JQ), which belongs to the USA.
- Who is the richest Palestinian person
- What is the biology of the homosexual
- What does ehsasat mean in Hindi
- Why are American television seasons so long
- Is China morally corrupt
- Why are religious books not considered hate speech?
- How do routing and packet forwarding work
- Can ostriches kill people
- What if you become god
- Can Bangladesh meet with BTS members
- What causes an eyelid to swell
- What were the French colonies
- What screams I'm North Indian 1
- Why do airlines always delay
- How many Kannadigas actually love Kannada
- What is the best family sedan car
- Is Kashmir a state or a country?
- Is the western world really democratic?
- Which languages have influenced Mandarin the most
- Is happiness greater than hard work
- Does the world need Pakistan to exist
- Why are dogs the best animals ever
- What helps me after a breakup
- Is Rishabh Pant better than MSD
- Human suffering can be a beautiful thing
- What is the rarest Italian wine
- Is love an addiction 1
- What are the smallest nuclear power plants
- How do drugs help an alcohol addict
- What is Ohm's law in electricity
- When do people often disagree with you
- What does nativism mean
- Were there any positive aspects of Polish communism