Why is the Islamic State attacking Afghans
IS and Taliban - Power Struggle in Afghanistan: Terrorists Against Terrorists
While IS is losing ground in its core area of Northern Iraq and Syria, it is creating new areas of influence and sources of income, for example in crumbling Libya, Yemen or Afghanistan.
Reports of an IS presence in Afghanistan first surfaced earlier this year in the southern Helmand province. In the summer, IS extremists also appeared in Nangarhar, where they embroiled the Taliban in fighting on the border. According to US General John Campbell, the commander of US and NATO troops in Afghanistan, four districts fell to IS.
The government has long since lost power over the southern Afghan province of Helmand - and the terrorists of IS and the Taliban are competing for control. According to the local administration, the Taliban have now taken over two thirds of the province.
Since the weekend, the Islamist militiamen have been moving into Sangin, Helmand's second largest city. The Taliban stormed government buildings and the bazaar. The security forces have withdrawn to their bases after heavy losses. Provincial officials report at least 90 deaths in the city of 15,000.
According to the Times and the Wall Street Journal, the British and US military have now relocated special forces to Sangin. The place is of great strategic importance: the most important road that connects Kabul with Helmand's provincial capital Lashkar Gah runs through the town.
Sangin is also a center for opium production. Should the Taliban conquer the place permanently, they could secure an important source of income again - and would be a tougher opponent for the IS than the Afghan troops.
In an interview with the AP news agency, Campbell said that IS supporters in Afghanistan are now trying to consolidate their ties to the self-proclaimed “caliphate” in the areas conquered by IS in Syria and Iraq.
- Can AI be used in game commentary
- Bhutan was part of China
- What is good journalism
- What is IP Gold 1
- What makes the Nuerburgring so special
- How can I learn Malayalam
- What does it mean when he's okay
- Which recruitment firms pay the most?
- How does tourism contribute to national development
- Which harvest makes the soil more fertile
- Which football position should I play
- Why are Kannada heroes not popular
- Who is Shahrukh Khan's sister
- Which coastal cities in California have mountains?
- Why isn't India harassing China?
- Why does Karnataka have reservations
- How was China in the 1960s
- What are sunglasses used for?
- What's your yup I'm screwed right now
- Is reliable Ethiopian airlines
- Who are members of the secret society
- Which airline is it
- Why is democracy appropriate for India
- What's your favorite mainstream pop song